The Northeast Kingdom is beautiful and remote--a perfect place to imagine as Middle-earth--but that remoteness also means we're not easy to access. It is our hope to assist you with finding your way to us if you want to, and to keep costs as low as possible while you're here.
If you have RSVPed and have attendee permissions, please stop by our Shared Travel and Lodging Forum if you'd like to arrange a carpool or ride-share with other attendees. You may also use our LiveJournal community; please be aware, however, that all members of the LJ community can view community content.
Travel by Car
We are very accessible by car. Take your best route to I-91 and use Exit 26 toward Orleans. (More specific directions will be provided to attendees.)
An important reminder to drivers: The Northeast Kingdom is rural and remote. Please do not depend on GPS or sites like Google Maps or MapQuest to get you where you're going. They are frequently wrong. (The first time I drove to the Kingdom, relying on one of these sites got me lost in the middle of the night, in a snowstorm, with no cell signal.) We will happily assist with directions or maps to get you where you need to go. (Or we can check over the directions you'll be using ahead of time to confirm that you'll arrive correctly in Coventry and not find yourself driving over a mountain in the middle of nowhere!)
Travel by Air
The nearest airports to us are as follows:
1. Burlington International Airport, Burlington, Vermont. 1.75 hours drive from the NEK.
2. Montreal Trudeau Airport, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 2 hours drive from the NEK.
3. Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. Manchester, Mass. 2.5 hours drive from the NEK.
4. Plattsburgh International Airport. Plattsburgh, NY. 3 hours drive from the NEK.
4. Boston Logan International Airport. Boston, Mass. 3.25 hours drive from the NEK.
5. Bradley International Airport. Hartford, CT. 3.5 hours drive from the NEK.
6. JFK International Airport, New York, New York. 6 hours drive from the NEK.
Travel by Train
The Amtrak Vermonter has daily service between Washington, DC, and St. Albans, Vermont. Unfortunately, St. Albans is in western Vermont ... and we are, of course, in the Northeast Kingdom. However, we will be possibly coordinating pickups from the Waterbury station (the closest you can get to us for the least money) if we have interest. Please let us know when you RSVP if you are interested in taking the train.